Argentine Tango (ART742)
Monday 3:30pm - 4:50pm in the Serkin Dance Studio
Faculty: Jim Mahoney and Sara Salimbeni
1 credit. May be repeated for credit.
Argentine Tango is an improvised social partner dance currently popular all over the world, including here in Brattleboro. If you've never seen it before, check out the "Tango Bar" video in the library,
or any of the video clip links on the resources
In each 90 min class you should expect some posture / stretching
exercises, some new moves, and some open practice time.
Please be on time. Repeated arriving late will affect your grade.
This semester we intend to focus more on
the fundamentals (i.e. the embrace and connection
between the dancers and the music) than
The course requirements are
- attending each class
- watching videos and listening to music as assigned
Attendance is crucial, particularly since the material builds
- Please do come to each class, on time.
- If you're injured or not feeling well, often you can still get something out of sitting in and watching.
- Up to three missed classes may be "made up" by attending a downtown Tues evening tango class within three weeks of the missed class.
- If four or more classes are missed without makeup, no credit will be given.
Tango is a close contact activity, so personal hygiene matters :
please arrive washed, brushed, and perhaps even scented.
We will meet this semester in the Serkin Dance Studio. Wear thick comfortable socks that will let you pivot on the floor. (Outdoor shoes are not allowed in the studio.)