This page is for brief descriptions of what we'll be doing each week and links to appropriate reading and resources.
Miscellaneous puzzles. See handouts.
- Start (and keep going with!) your puzzle journal.
- Play with your (possibly newfound) Sudoku skills.
- Crossword warm-up. Play with some "straight" (i.e. non-cryptic) crosswords. Here are a few online places to get free ones: thinks.com, bestcrosswords.com the style "British straight" in particular is a good lead in to the style of grids and parts of clue we'll be playing with in class,...
- Example Clues (mostly taken from puzzlers.org and bestforpuzzles.com both of which have more examples and some good discussion)
- Inebriated pirates travel about (7)
- Oinking tendency? (8)
- Growth on the face must be sore (8)
- Discovered calf in grass (8)
- Some careless language (5)
- Shakespeare, I hear, is excluded (6)
- Crazy flying mammals (4)
- The rest of the afternoon (6)
- Urge to get off drink, we hear (4)
- Power plant lacks a spiritual leader (6)
- Cheese stored in Baroque fortress (9)
- Graduate going to New York a lot (4)
- Terribly evil! (4)
- Insurance for a hundred and more (5)
- Marlboro Crossword clues:
- Two faculty members are less wild. (5)
- Librarian bets everything on Geraldine. (6)
- Intend to think really hard. (4,2,13)
- Sounds like a drink, Brenda. Oh, we should finish it after a late breakfast. (9)
- Tiny Tim. (6)
- Fall over in forest---a good start to life at Marlboro. (5,4)
- Emily or Matt? (6)
- Dr. Search treated a dorm. (8)
- Town Meeting after grant before United States test. (6)
- Community representatives choose plank. (11)
- Listen... Eek! You see what Don, Clare, Ayla, Stella and James are? (1,1,1)
- And one more for Dr Who fans, (how many Marlboro-aware Dr-Who-watching cryptic-crossword-solvers do you think there are in the world?):
- Dismiss Amy with ritual punishment. (8)
- Puzzle Set 2: Mathematics and History. The pdf is linked at the bottom of the page as "set2".
- Bring your puzzle journals for Matt to look at over the weekend.
- Play with the math puzzles from 11th Feb handout.
Puzzle Set 3 (Lewis Carroll) is attached to this page.
1st, 8th and some of 15th April
Class Choice! See Set4.pdf, attached to the bottom of the page and here are some online ones:
So what is a puzzle anyway? And what makes a puzzle good?