due Fri Oct 8
A five page paper that builds on a topic we've discussed in class (or that we haven't discussed in class but you think we should). Chat to me about your specific plans. This paper constitutes 20% of your final grade. Here are a few ideas to give you a sense of what I'm looking for:
- Marlboro College in 2040: The Perfectly Sustainable College. A description of what a genuinely sustainable version of Marlboro College would look like with some discussion of why you've made the choices you have (but not worrying about how to get to there from here).
- The Meaning of Sustainability. A critical comparison of the various definitions that we've seen. Which is most suitable for Marlboro? You might also consider issues such as substitutability.
- Local Food. We haven't talked about this in class yet (we will, when Adam visits us) but you could take some topics from Ben Hewitt's book/talk or from the farm at Marlboro to discuss.
- How I Came to Marlboro College and Saved the World, Volume 1 (The First Six Weeks). A personal essay reflecting on your interaction with environmental issues in your time at Marlboro so far (Ellie and Mike, you'll have to add a few weeks).
- Forest Ecosystems. Build on the work we did with Jenny to either do more cataloguing of ecosystems in the college forests, critique the forest management plan and the current use program, or discuss the importance of such ecosystems.
- My Ecological Footprint. Use tools from Sharing Nature's Interest and elsewhere to calculate your own ecological footprint for the last twelve months. How do you compare to the world and US averages? Are you happy with the results? What, if anything, do you plan to change?
Holding titles so that grades can be entered: